Uniting Women in Friendship and Volunteer Service
for the Good of Our Community and Beyond.
Established in 1937, the Junior Woman's Club of Chevy Chase (aka JWCCC or JWC3) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) charitable organization located in Chevy Chase, Maryland -- a neighborly suburb of Washington, DC -- dedicated to both supporting the community and to having fun.
The JWCCC is historically associated with the GFWC Woman’s Club of Chevy Chase, Maryland, Inc. and federated with the Montgomery County Federation of Women’s Clubs and the Maryland Federation of Women’s Clubs, which are affiliated with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (“GFWC”), an international organization of community-based volunteer women’s clubs whose motto is “Unity in Diversity.”
JWCCC is locally governed by an elected Board which establishes and administers policies and programs assisted by standing committee members.
"GFWC's roots can be traced back to 1868 when Jane Cunningham Croly (1829-1901), a professional New York journalist who wrote under the pen name of Jennie June, attempted to attend a dinner at an all-male press club honoring British novelist Charles Dickens. Croly was denied admittance based upon her gender, and, in response, she formed a club for women. She chose the name Sorosis, a Greek word meaning "an aggregation; a sweet flavor of many fruits."
1898: GFWC unanimously passed a resolution against child labor. With the help of clubwoman Jane Addams (1860-1935), child labor became a major area of concern for the Federation. In 1901, Addams headed the Federation's Child Labor Committee to work for the maintenance and improvement of child labor laws.
1899: GFWC's Chicago Woman's Club supported the juvenile court law, the first ever to be passed in the United States. This law became the model for all subsequent juvenile court laws, many of which were passed at the insistence of GFWC clubwomen. Julia Lathrop (1858-1932) led this club effort and was appointed by President William Howard Taft to head the Children's Bureau in 1912.
1901: The 56th Congress of the United States chartered GFWC and designated the Federation be headquartered in Washington, DC.
1922: GFWC Clubwomen purchased 1734 N Street, NW in Washington, DC to serve as the Federation's International Headquarters.
1930s: Having founded over 474 free public libraries and 4,655 traveling libraries, women's clubs were credited by
the American Library Association with establishing 75 percent of America's public libraries. Supporting local libraries continues
to be a Federation priority today.
1932: GFWC established the Junior Department in response to an increasing number of younger women participating in volunteer community service.
1934: GFWC began a 10-year study to review the question of the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA). In 1944, GFWC adopted a resolution in support of the ERA, which the Federation continues to support today.
1990s: GFWC actively supported the passage of the Violence
Against Women Act; the Americans With Disabilities Act; the Family and Medical Leave Act; and legislation supporting handgun control.
1994: GFWC founder Jane Cunningham Croly was inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame in Seneca Falls, New York.
1997: GFWC renewed its commitment to libraries with the Libraries 2000 project. Over a five year period, GFWC clubwomen raised and donated $13.5 million to public libraries and public school libraries across the nation.
2000's: GFWC members contributed $180,000 for a fully-equipped ambulance for use by the New York Fire Department in response to the loss of equipment suffered during the terrorist attacks on September11, 2001.
GFWC continues its tradition of addressing social issues affecting women and families through programs that combat violence against women and promote human rights."